Available for Trade (3/14/2010) Cards I Need (12.10.2010)

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The sacrifice

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday for us Catholics. I must admit that I'm not a devout Catholic and I hold views and lived a life that would be seen as blasphemous in the churches eyes. That aside, I do practice Lent every year.

For Lent, it's tradition to give up something as a gesture of sacrifice. You figure Jesus went 40 days in that desert without food or water, you can give up some aspect of your comfortable life. So my usual choice for sacrifice has been chocolate and soda. While chocolate I can do without, avoiding soda is a bit of a lifestyle change.

Now with Lent 2009 approaching Kim made a suggestion. While it may have been jokingly, it was a poignant suggestion. I've gone a bit overboard with eBay these past two months. I've certainly added to my Mattingly and YSL collection along the way. But I've dropped quite a bit of cash along the way. So she suggested I'd give up eBay for Lent. As I looked at the auctions today, I realized I've become quite addicted and this would certainly be a challenge. It would kill me if a card came on eBay that I've been looking for and I wasn't able to go after it.

So it's my decision in the end. I've been debating on how to approach this. Obviously, I'll have to handle any auctions I'm already bidding on which is a handful. I'm struggling with this one. I'll still be able to buy boxes online but the majority of my purchases have been Mattingly cards. The last box I bought was in December or January and was a 2008 Timeline box.

So, I think I'll be negotiating this one with Kim. But the goal is to get me to break this addiction that is eBay.

I don't think I can do it but I'll at least give it a try.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I gave up Catholicism for Lent years ago, and I haven't gone back. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Maybe you could make a deal with Kim that you'll ONLY bid on specific cards that you've been trying to get for a long time...

MarieBay said...

LOL @ Dave!

I usually give up things I don't like this way I can't break my promise, which is so wrong but whatever. I thought about giving up soda since it's horrible for you, but I like it too much. Giving up eBay would be like giving up oxygen.

Good luck dude