Available for Trade (3/14/2010) Cards I Need (12.10.2010)

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I love the 90's

This is one of my favorite cards. I was a big fan of Pinnacle and all their products in the 90's. I have tons of Score cards. I was a big fan of Select Certified's thick card stock and foil finish. I like the shininess of the Mirror Gold Parallel. I already had the base from this set but it took me some time to track this card down on eBay but I finally was able to find it.

Another thing I love about this card is that Mattingly is sporting a goatee. You may ask, "But Peter, don't the Yankees have a strict policy against facial hair below the upper lip?" Why yes reader, they indeed do. But back in 1995 (1996 Donruss also has a goatee wearing Mattingly photo), when Jack McDowell joined the Yankees he begged Steinbrenner to let him wear his goatee. So Steinbrenner allowed him to wear his goatee but soon after that others on the team began growing goatees including the Captain. Well after going 1-8 on road trip the no facial hair policy was reinstated as punishment (although the Boss denied that). Here's the story.

2 comments:

Wax Heaven said...

Damn, that is one sweet card!

Ross said...

Nice story never heard that one.