Available for Trade (3/14/2010) Cards I Need (12.10.2010)

Monday, April 20, 2009

Happy Birthdays indeed

I've been meaning to write this one for awhile and today was the perfect tie into it! You see today, April 20th, is Don Mattingly's Birthday! I didn't even realize it was his birthday today until I ran across 30-year old cardboard who won the contest on BadWax's blog.

So Don Mattingly was born in April and so was I. I had my birthday several weeks ago which happen to coincide with my eBay hiatus. So....I asked Kim to get me some Don Mattingly cards "for my birthday." And I think she did a heck of a job:

1993 Donruss Elite Jumbo
Don't let the name fool ya, because in real life it's pretty big. Kim was able to pick this up for me and get a good deal. I don't know the full story of their origin but I assume these numbered to 5000 cards were box toppers on some version of the Donruss boxes.

2007 Upper Deck Exquisite Collection America's Pasttime (that's a mouthful)
I don't know much of anything about these cards except that I think they're awesome looking. I've wanted one of these ever since I got back into collecting. Something about the red and blue just makes he card pop.

I also got another card from my birthday but it was from a family member. I had found a card I wanted really bad and I told Kim that she could get it for me for my birthday. But the auction just happened to end the same night as the Devils - Hurricanes game I went to earlier this month. So, I emailed my sister and told her "this is all I want for my birthday."

The hockey game comes and the Devils lose, thanks a lot Weekes, and when I get back home I quickly take a look at the auction. I checked the last auctions the buyer bid on and noticed the categories the user bid on were O-Scale trains. My dad had bought me the card.

1996 Topps Chrome Masters of the Game Refractor


I had been hunting this card down for awhile. I have the base chrome and refractor and the Master of the Game chrome but this was the one that eluded me. My dad got this card for me and I'll always remember that. He collects O-Scale Lionel trains and I went the cheaper baseball card route.

And these stories will always be attached to these cards. Whenever I look at the Donruss Jumbo or the National Pasttime cards I'll remember Kim buying them for me. And when I look at the Master of the Game Refractor it'll remind me of the hockey game and finding out to my surprise that my dad had bought me the card.

But there you have it, I'm showing the Don Mattingly baseball cards I got for my birthday today on Don Mattingly's birthday. Wrap your head around that one!

1 comment:

tastelikedirt said...

April 20th is my birthday!