Available for Trade (3/14/2010) Cards I Need (12.10.2010)

Monday, March 9, 2009

Topps Baseball cards...OF THE FUTURE!!!

I read about technology every day from a site called Dailytech.

Here is a post about Topps trying to come up with the next gen baseball card to bring kids back to the hobby. I always like to read the comments sections, they're usually interesting and include lots of negative banter.

Here's the New York Times article.

I think it's interesting how they're trying to attract kids back to the hobby like this. I don't have children or know personally of anyone with kids that collect baseball cards. Odds are, if your dad collects baseball cards, you do. Or if you're a huge enough baseball fan, you may end up collecting cards. I'm not saying every baseball fan collects cards, but I don't know any baseball card collectors who are not baseball fans. People who buy cases to flip product don't count.

But I think the game of baseball itself needs a resurgence in general to help attract new collectors. Or the next new gimmick to bring back old collectors who stopped collecting sometime ago. Something to make them go, "Man, that card or set is pretty cool. I should start collecting again." That was Yankee Stadium Legacy for me.

But I just don't think 3D cards are the thing that can bring kids back.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Very interesting. It's good to know that Topps is at least TRYING to innovate and find new ways to bring kids into the hobby. Their intentions are right even if not all of their ideas are good. I think that this bodes well for the future of Topps...

Anonymous said...

Didn't Topps learn from the release of DIII?